Some 1.9 million people have fled their homes due to violence and conflict and now live in settlements and communities throughout the country.
JUBA, South Sudan, April 4, 2019 – The United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) announced an allocation of US$11 million to help 268,000 women, men and children who had been displaced by conflict within South Sudan to return to their homes.
“People who fled their homes with nothing are returning to nothing. They need urgent support. The CERF funding will ensure they have food, farming tools and seeds, shelter items and other basic necessities ahead of the rainy season starting in May, when access to most areas will be cut off,” said Mark Lowcock, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs. “They will need support to recover their lost livelihoods and rebuild their lives.”
Non-food items, including buckets and mosquito nets will also be provided in 10 priority areas. Healthcare, education, and clean water and sanitation facilities will also be strengthened in the areas of return, including to serve people with disabilities. Protection services will be provided as a central component of the plan.
Alain Noudéhou, the Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan, said: “Since the beginning of the year, we are observing an increasing number of population movements across South Sudan, including many people returning to their home areas. It is vital that they do this in a voluntary, informed and dignified way. Keeping people safe is central to our response and we will continue to put a particular emphasis on protecting women and girls from violence. This CERF funding, which is part of a larger humanitarian plan, is a strong start to help people find solutions after years of displacement. Additional funding is urgently needed to provide humanitarian support and essential services.”
Some 1.9 million people have fled their homes due to violence and conflict and now live in settlements and communities throughout the country. Many of these people have been displaced more than once since conflict broke out in late 2013. Another 2.3 million South Sudanese have fled to neighbouring countries.
The 2019 South Sudan Humanitarian Response Plan, seeking $1.5 billion to assist 5.7 million people, is only 5 per cent funded. Life-saving assistance must be sustained.
Again, the state is spending recklessly, as the state is already not fiscal responsible or planning to behave like that. Instead of living within the means of the state. They are continuing to loan from either international sources or local ones, to balance the budgets. This is nearly impossible, as the National Resistance Movement and their Supplementary Budgets are breaking the bank.
What is really worse about this is that this goes to secret accounts and secret operations, which the state doesn’t trust to explain or even be transparent about. These funds are supposed to go to a Classified Division of the Uganda People’s Defence Force, the Permanent Secretary and Ministry of the Defence and Veteran Affairs are allowed to spend it, as they see fit. But how is that looking and where is these loans going?
The supposed motion says this:
“i. To improve the capability of Uganda’s defence and security forces ; and
ii. To enhance Uganda’s defence and security infrastructure” (P: 3, 2019).
What does that mean and where does that go? It could everything and nothing, it could be more ammunition, it could be paying off rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Who knows, right? Could be training of rebels in Kisoro or anywhere else, as the UPDF and the NRM see fit. That is why the funds are confidential and whatever the UPDF and President see needed is these manners. Because, I have a hard time believing these sorts of funds are spent without the knowledge or acceptance from the high above or within the chambers of the State House.
“It should be noted that defence classified expenditure has been growing over time – from UGX 347 billion in FY 20l7/18 to UGX 640 billion earlier on approved for FY 2018/19. This additional borrowing will see the budget for classified expenditure grow to UGX 1020 billion representing 34% of the total defence budget for FY 2018/ 19 (incl. now proposed borrowing)” (P: 3, 2019)
“The project will be implemented by the Ministry of Defence and Veteran Affairs, with its Permanent Secretary as the Accounting Officer responsible for managing the supply contract” (P: 4, 2019).
“Consequently, this will see the budget deficit grow by additional UGX resulting in growth in Net Domestic Financing requirement to UGX 2,163 billion in the FY 2018/19 from UGX 1,783 billion earlier on approved by Parliament. In addition, the domestic interest cost will increase by approximately UGX 39 billion from the 2,132 billion approved for FY 2018/ 19 to UGX 2,171 billion” (P: 4, 2019).
Here is some more of the information from the Ministry of Defence and Veteran Affairs. Still, it doesn’t say much. Except the levels of debt the state will have, how much interest the state will pay as it follows this possible loans. The rest of the Report, states that the Committee sees it fit to get a Bill on the Loan. Not just a motion to explain more. That should be needed. Because, the Ministry and Minister cannot have been specific on what they plan to spend the loans on. Whatever projects or where ever that might be.
It is not just the Members of Parliament (MPs) who should worry about this, but the citizens as the state are piling up loans for various of projects and even some like this whose a total confidential expenditure. It could be spend on whatever the UPDF or State House see necessary. That can be awful lot. Peace.
REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL ECONOMY ON THE PROPOSAL BY GOVERNMENT TO BORROWING USD 100 MILLION (APPROXIMATELY UGX 38O BILLION FROM THE DOMESTIC MARKET TO FINANCE CLASSIFIED EXPENDITURE UNDER MINISTRY OF’ DEFENCE AND VETERAN AFFAIRS FOR FY 2018/19, March 2019
“The MP who moved motion for my recall is stupid. I am shocked at the manner in which parliament handled my fate. How can a house with MPs who jump over chairs and do many dubious things pre-judge me without a chance to be heard” (…) “You have never been recalled for breaking microphones. Whoever moved that motion…it is a woman. Why can’t she respect herself as a woman? And parliament…you start saying Kyaligonza must be recalled, are you the one who put me there?” (…) “I have already recorded a statement to police on the matter but I still insist that I am a smart person and not a criminal that media portrayed” – Maj Gen Kyaligonza speaking to the Press on the 1st April 2019
Well, Major General Matayo Kyaligonza, the Ugandan Envoy to Burundi. Your surely not as bright you think you is. You are entitled to your opinion, but still that doesn’t make it a fact. What it makes you instead is ignorant and acting above the law. Which is not new in your manner.
Since, your a Bush-War General, your were not supposed to be stopped by the Police Officer, they were supposed to let you go and accept that you soldiers beat the Police Officer there. Since, then the video of the offence was leaked. Then, your own statements shows your disregard of rule of law and thinking, that because of your acts in the 1980s and your place in society. That you should shielded from justice and from the courts of law. This is again proven to the public, when you come with statements like this.
We know that he wouldn’t be anybody if it wasn’t for the blessings of the President. He is the guy that keeps promoting the Major General. Even if he continues to regard himself above the law. Still, the President continues to find places for him in the realm of power. Because, of loyalty and because the President needs these guys. As they remind him of the loyal people who fought with him.
Well, on the matter of being smart and what the media portrayed. Have portrayed what he has said and did. The video itself and still-pictures, show what he and his people did on the 24th February 2019. This is now known, he cannot deny that. He can create a false statement and call himself king. But that doesn’t make it more true. The video of the event and the other witness statements, will show how he sees himself above the law.
So, if he is so smart, so brilliant and so wise, why didn’t he just wait to follow the Traffic Officer?
Who was there to guide the traffic on that February day?
Doesn’t seem so bloody brilliant for a Major General and High Ranking Official in the Republic.
Aye, we can really say that he is high on himself. He does need a detox from this diet and maybe go to a school where he learns about proper self-searching, inner-awaking and even humility. It wouldn’t hurt. However, don’t anticipate it.
This is an NRM General and he will not act like a gentlemen, but as Big-Man with no Common Sense or even the courtesy like everyone else. Just following the laws, just driving like you supposed to and let it be. Instead he had to grab to intimidate, violence and use of excessive force on serving Police Officer. That is what he did.
Since then, trying to defend it. Now, pledging that the MPs should get silenced, because he is there assigned by the President. We know that already, all his beloved cronies are blessed by old man with the hat. Still, that doesn’t justify aggression and breaking the laws as you see fit. No it doesn’t, even if you think so Mr. Maj. Gen. Peace.
Do the Opposition want to look viable?
Does the Opposition leaders want to look serious?
Are they concerned about their credibility before the electorate?
That is what they should ask themselves, as the new IPOD leader and Democratic Party President Norbert Mao is calling out to all Opposition parties to go in for joint candidates for the General Election in 2021. However, that is a false flag, it is weakening the base of the Opposition, instead of strengthening them.
What Mao haven’t learned from is the Inter-Party Coalition (IPC) and The Democratic Alliance (TDA), which have been used as Opposition coalitions to try to challenge President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and the National Resistance Movement (NRM). However, they have been futile, as the state apparatus, intimidation and rigging has secured the ruling regime all the fortunes.
Therefore, Mao should know better as we’re in the 3rd Decade of the Museveni era. This is the sinister part of the times under him. Where the gloves are off and he uses all methods to stay in power. There are nothing he doesn’t touch and tries to manipulate in his favour. That is why, Mao and the rest of Opposition should work together, but not in a way, where they are betting on one ticket.
It is easy to see, that the NRM will get the majority, will get the Presidency and get the crown jewels of the Republic. That is what the NRM does and everyone should know this. Therefore, why risk it all on one ticket and one flag-bearer?
This is really not salvaging anything, but trading away what you have. In a system built for Museveni and his kind. Even if it is so, the Opposition shouldn’t give up and throw in their candidates. If the Opposition are only fielding on MP in every district, a Mayoral Flag-Bearer and whatever else role the Opposition want to aspire to get.
The Opposition should use all forces, use all parties and all manifesto’s to prove their difference from the NRM. The Opposition should field people from JEEMA, DP, UPC, FDC, ANT and whatever else existing out there. All parties should try and go up against the NRM. They got nothing to lose, only prove their point and configure their strategies both locally and also nationally. This to prove their difference and their plan, if the public want to see them fit to rule post-Museveni.
Mao doesn’t sound sincere or strong in the path to Presidency, when he doesn’t believe his own people can run as flag-bearers, but thinks he can negotiate and assemble strength by fixing one-by-one flag-bearer or candidate in every district and even Presidential Candidate. Alas, that will just weaken the possible Opposition. That is a gift-card to the President. This can silence the pressure of the People Power Movement, the ones who are still believing in Defiance against the state and all the others who want the Museveni to cease. However, that will not go down. Not even by a National ID-Drive or trying to WIN by the POLLS. That has be insignificant for 2 decades.
Therefore, the Opposition have figure out a way of getting a popular uprising and fight the oppression. Not continue to be under submission of the President and his made system.
Also, don’t show weakness, don’t be fatigued and give way to the President. He already tarmacking it and doesn’t give a rats-ass about you. That is why, the Opposition have to show character and stamina against the old man and his devious tactics.
Because, he would use that as a way of saying the Opposition stands for very little or have lack of principals. Since they can all work together and only seeking meal-tickets. Not that is not throwing stones in a glass-house, as his cronies are all seeking for their meal-tickets. But, the Opposition should look smarter and look like they actually want to govern with good governance and sincerely develop the Republic. Not only eat the plate of the state and see the schools fall-apart a little bit more, or more hospital without medicine or electricity. Because, that is what the state is offering the citizens at the moment. Also some added OTT Tax and using MTN Licenses to pay for Airplanes. That is how life goes on in the Republic.
Therefore, the Opposition has to look different, sound different and not look defeated. That doesn’t mean they cannot stand together in the fight against Museveni. But its the way they do it. Because they have tried the IPC and TDA without any results. So, for the L-O-V-E of God, prove your value and your mandate for the public. Let them see your true character. So, they can see the difference between you and the hungry looters who are residing their currently. Peace.