MinBane

I write what I like.

Archive for the tag “PNC”

DRC: Zeid warns of deteriorating situation, urges accountability for deadly clashes (22.09.2016)

siege-de-parti-en-feu

At least 50 people, including at least four police officers, were reportedly killed during clashes and violence in the capital Kinshasa on 19 and 20 September, and at least 77 others were injured.

GENEVA, Switzerland, September 22, 2016 – UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein on Thursday issued a strong warning about the deteriorating situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and insisted that, as part of the effort to avert a major crisis, there must be accountability for the killing of dozens of civilians and other human rights violations that took place during the outbreak of violence earlier this week.

“I am deeply saddened by the recent explosion of violence in the capital Kinshasa. The high number of civilian casualties, the burning of the headquarters of several political parties and the continuing high tension together provide a stark warning that a large-scale crisis could be just around the corner,” the High Commissioner said. “The writing is on the wall, and the authorities need to pull back from their extremely confrontational position and build bridges with the opposition.”

At least 50 people, including at least four police officers, were reportedly killed during clashes and violence in the capital Kinshasa on 19 and 20 September, and at least 77 others were injured. The figures could be much higher as verification continues.

“Some civilians were killed by gunshots to the head or chest, and I strongly condemn the clearly excessive use of force by defense and security forces against demonstrators in the capital. I am particularly shocked at reports that some men in uniform took a direct part in some of the attacks against the headquarters of six opposition political parties, including the Union pour la Démocratie et le Progrès Social (UDPS) building,” Zeid said. “This is a clear assault against democracy and fundamental human rights. What DRC needs now is a climate more conducive to inclusive dialogue and to free and fair elections.”

The High Commissioner said he had also received reports that Republican Guards, ANR intelligence service and PNC (Police nationale congolaise) had conducted raids and searches of residences in some parts of the capital, preventing civilians from leaving their homes for several hours. He expressed particular concern at allegations of arbitrary detentions by police not just in Kinshasa, but also in Kisangani, Tshikapa and Goma, including of journalists trying to cover demonstrations in the capital on 19 September. According to reports, some 300 people have been arrested since Monday.

Zeid reminded the Government of its obligations to respect international standards on the use of force during demonstrations. “The deployment of Republican Guards for crowd control, despite the fact that they were heavily implicated in the excessive use of force which led to numerous casualties during the 2011 elections, is deeply worrisome, and I urge the Government to immediately withdraw them from the streets and instead deploy properly trained police forces with appropriate equipment for crowd control,” he said. The High Commissioner also regretted that no one was held to account for the serious violations committed by members of the Republican Guards and the police in the context of the 2011 elections.

“Back in July, when I visited the DRC, I noted that the country was at a pivotal moment, with tensions on the rise and crucial electoral deadlines approaching. I also warned that the political uncertainty could lead to a serious crisis and outbreak of violence. To pull back from this dangerous trajectory, a fully inclusive dialogue must be restored and all sides must exercise restraint. It is absolutely crucial to ensure full accountability for the many human rights violations that have occurred this week, through a prompt, transparent and impartial investigation.”

The High Commissioner also strongly condemned the attacks by unknown assailants against the headquarters of the ruling party, a courthouse, a school and several government buildings, including police stations, as well as other criminal acts, such as looting and destruction of private property. He stressed that the investigation should also seek to identify the people responsible for these attacks and ensure that they are held accountable, in full accordance with the law.

“My Office stands ready to bring any kind of support to the Congolese authorities in their investigations,” said Zeid.

Communique de Presse: De la NDSCI a Suite de la Situation d’Insecurite qui Prevaut sur l’Axe Kabare-Nord en Province du Sud-Kivu (18.09.2016)

sud-kivu-18-09-2016-p1sud-kivu-18-09-2016-p2

RDC: Communiqué du Chef d’État Major des FARDC RDC pour le secteur opérationnel SUKOLA au Kivu (30.08.2016)

Operation Sukola 30.08.2016 P1Operation Sukola 30.08.2016 P2Operation Sukola 30.08.2016 P3

Beni : le Chef de la MONUSCO Maman Sambo Sidikou estime qu’il faut une stratégie différente contre les massacres (30.08.2016)

Beni Pray

Beni – 30 août 2016 : « Il est évident que pour la MONUSCO, les discours et la compassion ne suffisent plus ! Il faut travailler avec le gouvernement et de façon très rapprochée. Il est évident qu’il faut travailler avec les FARDC de façon très rapprochée et arrêter une stratégie différente.» a déclaré le Représentant spécial du Secrétaire général de l’ONU en RDC (SRSG), Maman Sambo Sidikou, lundi 29 août 2016 à Rwangoma, localité située à 4 km du centre-ville de Beni.

«Parce que nous comptons les morts, les uns après les autres et ça ne peut plus continuer », a expliqué le chef de le MONUSCO.

C’est à Rwangoma que le 13 août dernier, une cinquantaine de personnes ont été massacrées par des présumés ADF.

M. Sidikou, accompagnait le nonce apostolique, Luis Mariano Montemayor, dans sa visite pastorale au Diocèse de Butembo-Beni. Le nonce apostolique a d’ailleurs présidé une célébration en la mémoire des disparus, avant d’insister sur la protection des civils, priorité majeure du mandat de la MONUSCO.

Le mardi 30 août 2016, trois temps forts ont rythmé la fin de la visite du SRSGG à Beni : une rencontre avec les leaders religieux – imams, pasteurs, protestants -, une autre avec la société civile ainsi qu’une conférence de presse.

Pour l’essentiel, ces échanges ont permis de comprendre que la gestion d’un tel dossier nécessite l’implication et la collaboration de tous les acteurs qui, par leurs propositions, leurs idées, peuvent contribuer à la résolution d’une telle crise.

Le chef de la MONUSCO a encore une fois insisté sur le fait que le remède à cette crise n’est pas seulement militaire, que seule une approche multidimensionnelle peut apporter une réponse à cette problématique et qu’il y a lieu de revoir la stratégie actuelle.

C’est dans cette optique que M. Sidikou a annoncé que, très prochainement, en compagnie d’autorités politico-militaires congolaises, il se rendra à nouveau à Beni.

Alain Coulibaly

RDC: Communique du G7 (28.07.2016)

G7 27.08.2016

“Du sable et des cailloux” pour lutter contre l’armée congolaise – RDC #Reporters (Youtube-Clip)

RDC – Mesure de Decrispation Politique (26.08.2016)

RDC 26.08.2016 Free Activist

RD Congo – Nord-Kivu: Note d’informations humanitaires no 16 du 25 août 2016

Beni Pray

Faits saillants

  • Insécurité grandissante à Beni : Environ 50 civils tués par des hommes armés dans la ville de Beni
  • Réduction de l’accès humanitaire au sud Lubero suite à l’insécurité.
  • Près de 2 200 nouvelles personnes déplacées à l’ouest de Beni.
  • Près de 39 500 personnes déplacées vulnérables assistées dans les territoires de Beni et Masisi

Le massacre d’environ 50 civils le samedi 13 août à Rwangoma et Mbelu, deux quartiers périphériques de la ville de Beni, a occasionné une série de marches de colère et de protestation organisées le 17 août par les bureaux de la société civile de Beni, Oicha et Butembo après trois jours de deuil national décrété par le Gouvernement central. Dans la ville de Beni, des sources hospitalières ont rapporté trois décès et au moins huit personnes blessées pendant les manifestations de colère. Selon la Société civile, plus de 1 000 personnes ont été tuées dans le Territoire de Beni depuis octobre 2014. L’insécurité qui prévaut dans la ville de Beni et ses environs immédiats empêche les populations d’accéder à leurs champs.
Ce contexte précaire aggrave la situation humanitaire déjà fragilisée. Les activités humanitaires (accès et autres interventions) ont été paralysées à la suite de trois journées villes mortes décrétées du 15 au 17 août par la Société civile.

Pendant ce temps, les mouvements pendulaires des habitants sont constatés dans la ville. Les habitants des quartiers périphériques touchés par ces tueries hésitent à retourner dans leurs maisons.
Certains préfèrent passer la nuit au centre-ville de Beni et retourner chez eux dans la journée. D’autres ont préféré se déplacer vers d’autres zones. Ainsi, l’ONG nationale ACOPE rapporte qu’il y aurait 839 ménages déplacés à Butembo, 422 à Halungupa/Mutwanga, 677 dans la commune rurale de Bulongo, à Mangina et dans des familles d’accueil à Beni.

L’insécurité persistante au sud-ouest du Territoire de Lubero ne permet pas aux organisations humanitaires d’accéder aux personnes déplacées. Quelque 2 140 nouveaux ménages déplacés (chiffres à vérifier) seraient récemment arrivés dans cette zone, selon des sources humanitaires. Ils sont répartis dans les localités de Bunyatenge (850 ménages), Kasugho (1 050 ménages) et Kagheri (240 ménages). Ils sont arrivés des localités et villages de Masekeseke, Fatua, Bingo, Yama, Makokwando, Kabili, Patalmo, Musumbu et de Katenderwa, entre juin et juillet, suite aux exactions perpétrées par des hommes armés et aux affrontements entre groupes armés.

C’est dans cette zone que des agents humanitaires et des opérateurs économiques sont souvent pris en otage par des hommes armés.

RDC: Arrete Urbain No 3072/28 MCL/Viben/2016 Modifiant l’Arrete No. 3072/26 MCL/Viben/2016 du 18/08/2016 Portant Instauration d’Un Couvre-Feu en Ville de Beni (25.08.2016)

Nord Kivu 25.08.2016 P1Nord Kivu 25.08.2016 P2

Press Release: World Bank Group Suspends Financing to the Inga-3 Basse Chute Technical Assistance Project (25.07.2016)

inga3_figure2

WASHINGTON, July 25, 2016 — The World Bank Group has suspended disbursements of funding to the Inga-3 Basse Chute (BC) & Mid-Size Hydropower Development Technical Assistance (TA) Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This follows the Government of DRC’s decision to take the project in a different strategic direction to that agreed between the World Bank and the Government in 2014.

On March 20, 2014 the World Bank’s Board approved a US$73.1-million grant from its International Development Association (IDA) for the project, consisting of Inga-3 BC development support (US$47.5 million) and mid-size hydropower development support (US$25.6 million). At the time of suspension, approximately 6% of total project financing had been disbursed.

The Inga component of the TA project aimed to finance a flexible suite of technical assistance, including strategic advice to the Government, complementary studies, capacity building, and institutional strengthening. The IDA TA project aimed to support a government-led process for the transparent development of Inga-3 BC as a public private partnership. The World Bank Group is in a continuing dialogue with the Government about the implementation arrangements of the project, with the goal of ensuring that it follows international good practice.

The World Bank Group remains committed to supporting the DRC in its efforts to provide affordable and reliable energy for its people and to drive sustainable sources of growth for its economy. Beyond the Inga project, the Bank Group will remain engaged in the electricity sector in DRC by focusing on improving the performance of the State Utility SNEL, rehabilitating mid-size hydropower plants, increasing energy access, and continuing support to regional transmission interconnections.

Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: