Helt ute av sporet (Okumala ekigwo okulyaku kya okuziga)

Archive for the tag “Peacekeepers”

RDC: UDPS – “Concerne: la declaration et le depot de ma candidature” (20.03.2018)


RDC: Briefing de la CENCO au Conseil de Securite des Nationes Unies le 19/03/2018

Unlawful, unjustified and disproportionate use of force against protestors in DR Congo – UN report (19.03.2018)

Between 1 January 2017 and 31 January 2018, at least 47 people, including women and children, were killed by security services and defence forces in the context of demonstrations.

GENEVA, Switzerland, March 19, 2018 –  The right to freedom of peaceful assembly was severely restricted and often violently suppressed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2017 and the trend continues so far this year, according to a UN report issued on Monday. The report* documents killings and other serious human rights violations due to the use of excessive force by security services and defence forces in relation to mass protests.

Between 1 January 2017 and 31 January 2018, at least 47 people, including women and children, were killed by security services and defence forces in the context of demonstrations and there are indications that Congolese security services have attempted to cover up these serious human rights violations by removing the bodies of victims and obstructing the work of national and international observers, the report states.

The report, published jointly by the UN Human Rights Office and the UN Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO)**, describes the lack of compliance with national law and international standards, in particular the principles of legality, necessity, proportionality, precaution and accountability, related to the use of force by security services and defence forces during the suppression of peaceful demonstrations between January 2017 and January 2018.

The report is based on information collected during six main mobilization days and it states that while some people armed with sticks and broomsticks did attempt to perpetrate violence during some protests, the vast majority of demonstrators were peaceful. The use of excessive force – including lethal force – by the authorities was thus unlawful, unjustified and disproportionate.

The report also states that increasing restrictions to fundamental rights and freedoms coupled with inflammatory speeches and threats against demonstrators are cause for deep concern at a time when it is particularly important to create an environment conducive to peaceful elections.

The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General in the DRC, Leila Zerrougui, said the report highlights impunity gaps and a continued shrinking of the democratic space in the country observed since the beginning of 2015.

“This is inconsistent with the letter and spirit of the 31 December 2016 Agreement and its confidence-building measures. Demonstrations are intrinsically related to freedom of expression and it is absolutely necessary that all voices can be heard in the context of the forthcoming elections,” Zerrougui said.

“The creation by the Ministry of Human Rights of a joint commission of inquiry*** with representatives of the civil society is a positive step forward for accountability and reparation for the victims,” she added. Zerrougui welcomed the findings of the Commission and urged their full and swift implementation. She expressed the readiness of the UN to provide support in that regard.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said the systematic suppression of demonstrations, including through the use of disproportionate force, is a serious breach of international human rights law and the laws of the DRC. There is an urgent need for a meaningful, transparent and independent judicial investigation into these violations and other allegations.

“It is particularly disturbing that security services and defence forces carry out this violence with almost full impunity which can be perceived as encouraging such repression,” he said. “We are seeing the quashing of dissent at all costs – even at the cost of human life – in the DRC by the systematic deployment of armed forces alongside the Police Nationale Congolaise to handle protests.”

Zerrougui and Zeid urged the Government to allow the exercise of the rights to peaceful assembly and expression, warning that repression would only breed frustration, could lead to serious deteriorations in the security situation in the country and could pose a threat to the electoral process. For credible elections to be held at the end of this year, the Government has an obligation to ensure that people’s civil and political rights are respected and their exercise is facilitated.

* The full report in French only can be accessed here: ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/CD/BCNUDH-Report_March2018.pdf

** The UN Joint Human Rights Office, which was established in February 2008, comprises the Human Rights Division of the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO) and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in the DRC (OHCHR-DRC).

*** At the request of the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the report of the joint commission of inquiry is annexed as an answer to the UN report.

The 758th meeting of the AU Peace and Security Council on the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) – (14.03.2018)

Coup in Mogadishu Part II: Was the action today from AMISOM a redeployment or a takeover of the Parliament?

Yesterday’s stand-off in the Parliament as the two tabled ‘no confidence’ votes transpired into the Prime Minister Hassan Ali Kheire decision to send the Special Guard to the Parliament to prove his power to the Lower House Speaker Mohamed Osman Jawari. Today, The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) sent troops to the Parliament to settle the stand-off of yesterday, if these we’re the orders of the Force Commander Lieutenant General Osman Noor Soubagleh or somebody else is hard to know.

But the political squabble and the use of military force to settle the score cannot continue. This transpiring efforts will only undermine the state and the means of the Federal Government of Somalia. That is not a show of strength, when the PM orders the Special Guards to the Parliament, neither is it show of strength, when the Peacekeepers has to occupy the National Assembly. We all know that is a bad sign ahead. No matter what they call the action today, if it a redeployment or a takeover. Yesterday, was a vicious act to spike fear in the mind of Jawari, even if I doubt it would do that to him,

We can wonder where President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmajo has been, why he hasn’t said anything, condemn either of the political actors, neither his deputy or the speaker. No one has been answered, the President is so silent. You could think he was hiding beneath a rock or try to get to Addis Ababa. Because, he is not heard from. Even the fishes speaks more of the recent acts in Mogadishu than him, I am sure Nemo has some answers for Farmajo.

Another one, who usually challenges the political landscape and acts like a local kingpin, is United Nations Special Representative for Somalia, Michael Keating. I was expecting to blaze all guns and spiteful chants of different types. As he sometimes at international affairs and even at forums are more viable than heads of the Federal Government of Somalia. Therefore, in an affair like this, he might should have taken more charge. Since he likes the spotlight and looks like he matters in Somalian questions.

With the AMISOM actions, they clearly used the status of the 11 Point of their mandate: “To provide and assist, as appropriate, protection to the Somali authorities to help them carry out their functions of government, and security for key infrastructure” (AMISOM – ‘AMISOM Mandate’). So the Parliament can be seen as part of Somali authorities and key infrastructure. Some call the acts today a redeployment and not a takeover. But after yesterday, it seems like an act to show their mandate to the people.

Since the Special Guards came yesterday, we can wonder how this will evolve, how the different fractions will behave and how the next few days will be. Since the PM has used the army for his personnel gain, while questions of others non-action shows their true face. It should be expected that the President acts and also address his closest Deputy, instead he has left him go of the hook. He could also have addressed the Speaker to clear the air. Instead, nothing has happen and the transpired affair shows.

The ending of a political career can show the weakest links, can show how they act under stress. The PM goes to use soldiers and use of the army to settle his affairs with men who wants him away. The Speaker tries to use protocol and find out if he is allowed to do the same. However, the one with the guns stops all activity, but he loses face, because they know it was wrong behavior and the world knows it.

PM Kheire has flipped has cards, but he doesn’t have a full-house, not even a straight flush, he should have wished he had a royal flush, but he didn’t. We could wish the PM had bluffed, but he didn’t stack the deck, he just went into with a bad hand. The risked all with all-in without knowing the consequences. We will see if he wins, but it will not be because of brilliant tactics, because it hasn’t been.

AMISOM has acted, but the tale of the Lower House of the Parliament is not over and the ‘No Confidence’ for either the Speaker and PM will come up again. But the one that has lost face is the PM. Who has misused his position and put himself in the line of fire, because of either arrogance or fear for his position. Peace.

Coup in Mogadishu: PM Khaire Vs. Speaker Jawari!

There are reports that the Somali National Army and the Special Guard on orders by the Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire today after there been secret meetings of a ‘No Confidence’ towards him and wanted it to be tabled at the Parliament. This was supposed to be a group of 40 MPs in the Parliament. However, the PM has addressed this with sending the army to the Parliament and seizing it. To silence and stop the House Speaker Mohamed Osman Jawari. As well as the PM took away the Security Detail for the Speaker hours earlier. This is really a stand-off between the two power brokers.

This week the blows between has been evident as the tablet ‘no confidence’ against Jawari, that was in the media on the 13th March, now on the 16th March, the whole brigade has blown over. Since the PM has used his powers to act against the people who wants him down.

Even United Nations in Somalia (UNSOM) has this Press Statement late today: “JOINT PRESS STATEMENT: International community extremely concerned by recent political developments in #Somalia, urges respect for constitutional processes to resolve differences” (UNSOM, 16.03.2018).

This stand-off is because of different ‘no confidence’ votes and signatures. Earlier in the week, there was 40 MPs at an undisclosed location planning to put forward a petition to vote on the future of the Prime Minister. However, that has no been countered, but the PM decided to order the army. Therefore, this isn’t procedure or trying to resolve matter with words or persuasion. The same issue as of the fear, there are reports of regroup of 91 MPs to support the suspension of the Session tomorrow tabled by the speaker. But that is only to be in the good graces of the ones using the army against the Parliament.

While the Minister of Security Mohamed Abukar Islow Dualle wants to deflect the reports that has been going on for hours, as they are saying: “denies reports of the seizure of the Parliament building, says it sent reinforcement units to boost the security” (Garowe Online, 16.03.2018).

Just to further verification to all the speculations, that this is real, the reporting from Radio Dalsan said this: ““The security of the Parliament is not our control.If anything happens in Parliament the responsibility is not mine but the PM.The security is not in our hands but has gone to the PM. The responsibility has been taken by him” Speaking to journalists at his office Jawari added” (…) “Radio Dalsan reporter Saleymaan Rage confirmed the presence of extra military personnel deployed at the Parliament buildings. These latest development followed this week’s failed vote of no confidence against Jawari” (…) “Mps loyal to Jawari have accused Khaire of being the mastermind of the vote of no confidence against Speaker Jawari. Jawari said that he is ready to face the motion on the floor of the house if the legal requirements are met” (…) “Deputy Speaker Abdulkadir Mudey on Thursday had announced that the motion is legitimate and will brought to the house. Jawari has been a speaker since 2012” (Radio Dalsan, 16.03.2018).

Jawari claims reason motion was initiatied again him is because “I refused to sign documents that are contrary to the principle and trust”. If any problem happens at building it’ll be the responsibility of the PM who ordered seizure, Somali people should know that, Jawari says” (Harun Maruf, 16.03.2018).

At this point, with the allegations going both ways, the weakest link seems to be the one who ordered the army and Special Guards to takeover the Parliament. Take away the Parliamentary Guards and the ones securing the Parliament Speakers Security. That is really to insult to injury and also intimidate the Speaker of the Lower House. Prime Minister Khaire are really messing up the political landscape and also showing his will to use force to stay in power.

That PM Khaire is afraid is evident by his actions, since he fears for both motions, that the Lower House would get enough signatures and votes to impeach him. That would have insulted him and also his career. Seemingly, the speaker since 2012 would follow procedure and make sure he didn’t get enough signatures against him. That is what the PM should be doing, making alliances and making sure the Parliament would be on his side, even as the secret meetings was appearing. However, he has instead sent the army and trying to tell it isn’t anything. Like the Speaker would cry foul and spread the news, when it is nothing. It is Mogadishu. He knows when he see army personnel and when they takeover of the Parliament.

This is a coup, where the Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire has taken all power in his hands and doesn’t care for the aftermath. He is clearly using his power and the position he has to stop the Speaker of the Lower House. Clearly, this is a violation and a stand-off. We just have to see, what will be the next movement. What it will cost for the Parliament, for the motions and for the Speaker. Even if this will backfire for the PM who is in-charge of the operation.

While we can wonder, why the President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Faramajo has been silent and hasn’t acted? Doesn’t he care about the Parliament or the Speaker? Is he a puppet for the Prime Minister? That is things I wonder about, since this sort of action should have been done by the President and the No Confidence should been pushed with him first and then the PM. That would be common sense, as the MPs would bring down the center and maneuver down the food-chain. Instead, the Second in Command is the one people are questioning. Than, you know there are something behind closed-doors that is not known in public or disclosed yet. Peace.

Huge measles campaign in drought-hit Somalia aims to protect children and save lives (14.03.2018)

This week the campaign targets 2.7 million children in the southern and central states, along with 1.1 million children in Somaliland.

MOGADISHU, Somalia, March 14, 2018 – A nationwide campaign continues in Somalia to protect millions of children against the potentially deadly effects of measles. WHO, UNICEF, national and local health authorities aim to reach more than 4.7 million children aged from six months to 10 years during the overall campaign.

This week the campaign targets 2.7 million children in the southern and central states, along with 1.1 million children in Somaliland. The vaccinations will be available at health centres and temporary vaccination sites. Puntland implemented its campaign in January when over 933,000 children were vaccinated.

Over 2,800 cases of suspected measles have been reported since the start of the year, with the most affected regions including Bay, Banadir and Mudug. In 2017 there were more than 23,000 suspected cases of measles – six times as many as in 2016 – with the vast majority (83 per cent) affecting children under ten.

In early 2017, WHO, UNICEF and partners, together with national health authorities, vaccinated nearly 600,000 children aged 6 months to 5 years for measles in hard-to-reach and hotspot areas across Somalia.

“The campaign will intensify efforts to improve immunity against measles and reach unvaccinated children. As we saw last year when partners responded to a major cholera outbreak, with the right interventions, WHO and health authorities are confident that similar success may be seen in controlling this measles outbreak,” said Dr Ghulam Popal, WHO Representative in Somalia.

More than two years of severe drought has led to widespread child malnutrition, mass displacement, and a lack of access to clean water and sanitation, creating ideal conditions for infectious disease outbreaks.

“The situation is especially critical for millions of under-vaccinated, weak and vulnerable children who are susceptible to contracting infectious diseases. More than 1.2 million children are projected to be at risk of acute malnutrition in the next 12 months. These children are nine times more likely to die of killer diseases such as measles and acute watery diarrhoea /cholera than healthy children,” said Steven Lauwerier, UNICEF Somalia Representative.

Ahead of this latest campaign, in late 2017, WHO conducted a series of trainings for Somali health workers on early outbreak detection and response for measles. The trainings aim to enhance measles case-based surveillance and laboratory confirmation, improve measles case management during outbreaks, and achieve high routine measles vaccination coverage.

UNICEF has procured and distributed over 4.7 million doses of measles vaccine and organized 1,700 social mobilizers to encourage families to vaccinate children and adults who are not or think they might not be fully immunized. This will be accompanied by Vitamin A supplementation which will help to boost immunity.

The response is supported through funding from Alwaleed Philanthropies (Saudi Arabia), the United Nations Foundation, WHO, and the Somalia Humanitarian Fund.

RDC: CLC – “Appel du Comite Laic De Coordination – Jusqu’Au Bout Nous Irons!” (12.03.2018)

RDC: PALU & MLC – Communique de Presse (09.03.2018)

RDC: Comite Laic de Coordination – Communique de Presse (07.03.2018)

Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: