MinBane

I write what I like.

Archive for the tag “Lubumbashi”

RDC: Communique final de la rencontre de l’Opposition en Afrique du Sud (25.10.2018)

Advertisements

Ebola in DR Congo: UN chief ‘outraged’ by recent killings of civilians and health workers (22.10.2018)

Such attacks continue to hamper humanitarian access in the conflict-torn region and prevent health workers from tackling the outbreak.

GENEVA, Switzerland, October 22, 2018 –  The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres said on Monday he is “outraged by the continued killing and abduction of civilians by armed groups” near Beni, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)’s North Kivu region, which has been grappling with an Ebola outbreak since August.

Mr. Guterres condemned Saturday’s attack in the town of Mayongose on the outskirts of Beni, in which at least 11 civilians were killed, and several more were injured and abducted. He said he is also “deeply troubled” by reports that on Friday, two Congolese health workers helping to combat the Ebola outbreak, were killed in Butembo by armed militia.

Such attacks continue to hamper humanitarian access in the conflict-torn region and prevent health workers from tackling the outbreak.

This outbreak, the tenth to hit the DRC in 40 years, was declared in North Kivu Province on 1 August this year and, given the worsening security situation in and around the city of Beni, the World Health Organization (WHO) elevated its risk level from “high” to “very high” on 28 September. So far, more than 250 Ebola cases have been reported, causing over 140 deaths.

WHO suspended all of its activities for a period of two days after attacks in late September in and around Beni, which left more than 20 dead.

The Secretary-General called “on all armed groups to immediately cease attacks against civilians and ensure humanitarian access to populations in need”.

RDC: Sector Operational Sukola I Grand Nord Commandment – Communique Officiel (18.10.2018)

RDC: Declaration des Candidats President de la Republique Consecutivement aux Echanges Organises par la CENI dans le Cadre de Concertation avec les Candidats President de la Republique (15.10.2018)

RDC: Declaration de Presse du Vice-Premier Ministre (17.10.2018)

World Health Organization calls crisis meeting over deadly Ebola outbreak in DR Congo (16.10.2018)

World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has called an Emergency Committee meeting on the Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which has already claimed around 130 lives.

GENEVA, Switzerland, October 16, 2018 – The WHO has assessed the national and regional risk of the current Ebola outbreak in DRC as “very high,” although the global risk remains low and, so far, the UN’s health watchdog has not called for any trade or travel restrictions to be imposed.

The Emergency Committee, scheduled for Wednesday at WHO headquarters in Geneva, will decide whether the outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern, and what recommendations should be made to manage the spread of the disease.

This outbreak, the tenth to hit the DRC over the last four decades, was declared in North Kivu Province on 1 August, this year and, based on the worsening security situation in and around the city of Beni, WHO elevated the risk from “high” to “very high” on 28 September.

The agency identified 39 new confirmed cases were reported between 1 and 11 October, 32 of which are from Beni.

The DRC Ministry of Health, WHO and other partners have been responding to the outbreak with teams on the ground, but WHO has warned that continuing insecurity severely affects both civilians and frontline workers, forcing the suspension of the response for several days in late September, and raising the risk that the virus will continue to spread.

More than 20 civilians in Beni were killed in the incident that provoked the suspension, which came on the heels of multiple attacks in previous weeks. It’s estimated by the UN that more than a million civilians under threat from armed groups, are internally-displaced in North Kivu; around 500,000 this year alone. The eastern region is close to the border with Uganda, and Rwanda.

Meanwhile, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) reports that one month after the beginning of the school year, 80 per cent of school-aged children have returned to school in Beni and Mabalako health zones, the two epicentres of the Ebola outbreak.  UNICEF has identified more than 1,500 schools in the areas affected by the epidemic.

RDC: Declaration Politique e l’Opposition (11.10.2018)

RDC: Communique Officiel de la Presidence de la Republique (06.10.2018)

RDC: Memo de l’Opposition Politique de la RD Congo a l’Intention des Members du Conseil de Securite des Nationes Unies (04.10.2018)

RDC: Pour son soutien apporte aux femmes victimes des violences sexuelles, le Docteur Mukwege prime a Oslo par le “Prix Nobel de la Paix 2018” ce vendredi 05 octobre 2018 (05.10.2018)

Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: