MinBane

I write what I like.

Archive for the tag “International Red Cross”

Press Release: Sharp rise in suspected cholera cases in South Sudan (21.07.2016)

South Kordofan Sudan

The Juba Teaching Hospital reported that 69 new suspected cases were admitted on Wednesday, bringing the total number of people being treated in the capital to 112.

JUBA, South Sudan, July 21, 2016 – Amid a rise in the number of suspected cases of cholera in South Sudan, UNICEF is rapidly increasing its response activities.

The Juba Teaching Hospital reported that 69 new suspected cases were admitted on Wednesday, bringing the total number of people being treated in the capital to 112. An additional 29 suspected cases had been reported in Duk Island in Jonglei state. Nationwide, there are now 141 suspected cholera cases with six reported deaths.

In collaboration with the Ministry of Health and partner agencies, UNICEF is providing medical supplies, sanitation services and community awareness.

“A fast and coordinated response is key to preventing a cholera outbreak,” said Mahimbo Mdoe, UNICEF’s Representative in South Sudan. “That’s underway, despite the fact that life in Juba was completely brought to a standstill for days by the recent violence and many humanitarian organizations have since evacuated staff.”

UNICEF and partners are providing medicines, intravenous drips and other items used to treat the illness. Three triage tents have been erected to serve as additional wards should the number of cases continue to increase. Chlorine has been provided for use in the handwashing stations put in place in the isolation unit. Elsewhere in Juba, five oral rehydration points have been established where people who feel ill can receive rehydration solutions and be referred to a clinic.

Community mobilizers are working to prevent further infections by educating the public on measures they can take to keep themselves safe, such as drinking only safe water and eating cooked food.

At the UN protection of civilians site – where thousands continue to shelter following the fighting that erupted in Juba nearly two weeks ago – daily water supplies continue to be provided, despite initial challenges of access. The water is then treated with chlorine.

Cases of cholera across the country remain unconfirmed due to a critical lack of the laboratory equipment needed to obtain a diagnosis, which humanitarian organizations are working to address.

Letter from Journalists South Sudan ask permission to access the people of the PoC Sites in Juba! (20.07.2016)

South Sudan Letter 20.07.2016

President Salva Kiir insists more AU troops not welcome in Juba (Youtube-Clip)

“South Sudan has reaffirmed its rejection of a proposal by the African Union to send in additional troops to help stabilize the country. In an exclusive interview with CCTV Africa, President Salva Kiir said he had not been consulted on the matter and would not agree to more foreign troops being deployed in his country” (CCTV Africa, 2016).

South Sudan Update: Machar to be Replaced (Youtube-Clip)

“South Sudanese information and broadcasting minister has confirmed on reports that the country’s First Vice President, Riek Machar, could be replaced from his position by another official from his faction in accordance with the provision of the August 2015 peace agreement” (NBS TV Uganda, 2016).

Palais press notes on the health situation in South Sudan (19.07.2016)

South Sudan HRP 2016 Cover Page

South Sudan HRP 2016 Cover Page

Speaker: Fadéla Chaib, WHO Spokesperson
Date: 19 July 2016

In response to the crisis in South Sudan, WHO works with its partners to ensure that the population continues to access basic health services. The situation endured by displaced people, where inadequate access to water and sanitation services have resulted in poor living, hygiene and sanitation conditions resulting in threats of outbreaks.

One of these threats is an upsurge of reported cases of suspected cholera/ acute watery diarrhoea. The suspected cases are from Juba and Duk Counties in Central Equatoria and Jonglei States respectively.

WHO with other partners is currently responding by conducting active case search in the two communities where recent cases reside and had pre-positioned commodities and other supplies including tents, cholera kits that provides treatment for 400 people, cholera preparedness and response materials for health workers, laboratory reagents and Rapid Diagnostic Tests. WHO is expanding disease surveillance and laboratory investigation of suspect cases; providing support for the care and treatment of cases, and strengthening public health education and social mobilization.

The risk of further spread is a major concern. With the coming rains, it is realistic to expect an increase in malaria and water-borne diseases, so we can expect medical needs to rise in an environment where WHO and partners are already working hard to keep up with existing health needs.

An estimated 1.6 million people affected by the ongoing crisis needs help. WHO delivered lifesaving treatments and supplies including: trauma kits, body bags, IV fluids , iodine solutions and trauma kits. In addition, WHO is also shipping to Juba several kits of essential drugs and medical supplies. The supplies are expected to be in Juba early next week.

Under extremely difficult conditions, WHO and partners in South Sudan are also reaching families sheltering in schools, Churches and settlement areas across South Sudan with life-saving health care. Mobile medical teams are dispatched to reach people in many areas hardest hit by the ongoing conflict including Juba, Wau, Bentiu and Torit. Rapid assessments to monitor the health situation of the displaced people are to also be scaled up in Juba and the affected states.

More than a hundred WHO staff members remain in the country.

WHO is deploying an emergency logistician, information management and Public Health Officers to support the WHO and health partners respond to the crisis.

Funding:
WHO requires a total of US$ 17.5 million for 2016 of which US$ 4.3 million has been received. This amount is likely to increase due to the recent conflict.

Fadéla Chaib WHO Spokesperson

Readout of Secretary-General’s meeting with H. E. Yoweri Kabuta Museveni, President of Uganda (18.07.2016)

Salva Kiir Poster

NEW YORK, United States of America, July 18, 2016The Secretary-General met today with H. E. Yoweri Kabuta Museveni, President of Uganda, on the margins of the African Union Summit in Kigali. The Secretary-General and the President exchanged in-depth on the situation in South Sudan.

The Secretary-General and the President expressed grave concern about the situation in South Sudan, and exchanged views on practical measures that could be taken to address it. In this respect, the Secretary-General recalled his briefing to the Security Council on 13 July in which he proposed the imposition of an arms embargo, targeted sanctions against violators of human rights and international humanitarian law and the strengthening of UNMISS, in order to protect civilians.

The Secretary-General also referred to the demilitarization of Juba as a way of sustainably restoring security in the capital and facilitating the functioning of the Transitional Government of National Unity and the implementation of the agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan. President Museveni stressed the need to strengthen national ownership to ensure that any gain made towards peace and security is irreversible.

The Secretary-General commended the IGAD leaders for their untiring engagement in South Sudan, and said he was looking forward to the personal leadership of President Museveni and that of the other Heads of State and Government of the region. He also acknowledged Uganda’s contribution to AMISOM and the sacrifices made in this respect.

The Secretary-General and the President discussed the follow-up to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, which Uganda is planning to ratify soon.

Readout of the Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E. Mr. Alpha Oumar Konare, African Union High Representative for South Sudan, and H.E. Mr. Festus Mogae, Chairperson of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (18.07.2016)

South Kordofan Sudan

NEW YORK, United States of America, July 18, 2016The Secretary-General met today with former President Alpha Oumar Konare, African Union High Representative for South Sudan, and former President Festus Mogae, Chairperson of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission.

Former Presidents Konare and Mogae updated the Secretary-General on their efforts, including recent consultations in Juba with South Sudanese leaders. The Secretary-General commended them for their efforts, and encouraged to remain steadfast. He recalled the recommendations he made to the Security Council in favour of an arms embargo, the imposition of targeted sanctions against individuals involved in violence and blocking the implementation of the peace agreement, and the reinforcement of the UN Mission in South Sudan.

Acknowledging the seriousness of the situation and the risk of relapse into conflict and that of further and widespread atrocities against the civilian population, the Secretary-General and the two former Presidents agreed on the urgency of concerted regional and international action to address the current challenges and bring about lasting peace and security in South Sudan. They emphasized in this respect the role of IGAD and of African leaders.

Juba Crisis continues as Editor of South Sudan Tribune get detained for an article

sudantribune.com

There are certainly a crisis in Juba, as the escalated to old-days in the Capital of South Sudan. As the President Salva Kiir and VP Dr. Riek Machar have started to fight each other, as their trust level is beyond the reasonable level. There been dialogue and even negotiations between the old Generals; who has had different subject and loyalties to different tribes. Still the surge for power and generate it all. Is the reason why the President was offended by what the Editor-In-Chief Alfred Taban of South Sudan Tribune wrote on the 16th July 2016, as I have the copy of the article that he wrote and published! That apparently hurt the Executive who have been vigilant against the SPLM-IO Riek Machar and his loyal soldiers, as the Government forces have attacked the Opposition on their bases.

Still the newly fresh cease-fire, while the Government has even detained SPLM-IO MPs who was living in Hotels in Juba into jails after the recent skirmishes and attacks, proves the unstable situation and the little peace. This together with UNMISS staff leaving the capital, International Red Cross, Embassies and other foreign dignitaries, as well as Indian Army and Ugandan Army coming into Juba to clear the town.       

We can expect in this unfree and unstable situation that the free press and liberty seems to also be under fire, but when you acting on the terms of State of Emergency. So that with even government forces go into the UN World Food Program warehouse and looted it. As there been reports over the last year of the lacking levels of food and fleeing from violence. The insecurity together with the now the proof of lacking freedoms, shows that the Troika’s faith in the newly formed Transitional Government of National Unity (TGNU) after the Peace Agreement of 2015, where the new National Assembly and Government should mend the wounds of the newest conflict between the leaders. That proven again when the President cannot handle being questioned by the media and their men with the pencil and thoughts into paper; this should be a worry as the soldiers are fighting and the disarray of society that are for grabs, by men more used to the battlefield then building the state. That should be reminder of the fragile state and the quest to build the newest African Nation, that the South Sudanese people deserves, with leaders who works continuously to achieve progress for the citizens; instead they are fighting for their own plate and not for the people, that should be a warning sign for the international community who supporters the development and continuation of the Kiir Government.

Take a look at the Article that made a fellow human-being detained as he wrote critically about the leadership of South Sudan:

Sudan Tribune Article

PS: Peace.

U.S. Director of Press Relations Trudeau on Situation in South Sudan (Youtube-Clip)

 

UNMISS:UN non-critical staff relocate (15.07.2016)

Tanks 10.07.2016 Juba

JUBA, South Sudan, July 15, 2016 – Due to the recent fighting in Juba and subsequent associated operational challenges, the United Nations Mission in South Sudan and UN agencies, funds and programs in South Sudan have ordered the temporary relocation of some non-critical staff.  UNMISS and UN agencies, funds and programs will continue running critical operations to support the people of South Sudan, including protecting civilians and providing humanitarian assistance.

Post Navigation

%d bloggers like this: