South Sudan: Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission reconstituted (20.11.2018)
JOINT PRESS RELEASE
FROM THE OFFICES OF JMEC AND IGAD
Tuesday, 20, November, 2018, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission reconstituted
The Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) was reconstituted at a meeting convened on Monday 19 November 2018 by H.E. Dr Ismail Wais, the IGAD Special Envoy to South Sudan.
The Special Envoy commended the IGAD Council of Ministers for their support of the Revitalized Peace Agreement as well as the Government of South Sudan and the Parties for their commitment to the peace process.
JMEC Interim Chairman Ambassador Lt. Gen. Njoroge told the members of the reconstituted JMEC: “This august body is now reconstituted, made more inclusive, and bestowed with significant power and responsibility to monitor the Parties’ and stakeholders’ adherence to the implementation of the revitalized Peace Agreement. I can assert that we have the attention of the region as well as the people of South Sudan, and we must do our utmost to deliver.”
The meeting was attended by the Parties to the Agreement and other stakeholders, comprised of faith-based leaders, eminent personalities, and representatives of women’s groups, the business community, civil society, youth, and academia. Also present were the Regional Guarantors and the International Partners and Friends of South Sudan.
The reconstituted JMEC resolved as follows:
• Welcomed the reconstitution of the reconstituted JMEC by IGAD and expressed deep appreciation to H.E Dr. Ismail Wais, the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan for his personal contribution that led to the success of the revitalization process;
• Congratulated the Interim Chairman Ambassador Lt. Gen. and all the representatives nominated to the reconstituted JMEC;
• Endorsed the statement of the reconstituted JMEC Interim Chairperson on the status of implementation of the Revitalized Peace Agreement;
• Commended the Parties for the positive steps taken in the implementation of the Revitalized Peace Agreement, in particular nominations of representatives to the various institutions and mechanisms of the Peace Agreement and for the ongoing confidence building, and encouraged further progress;
• Endorsed the reconstituted JMEC Rules of Procedure 2018;
• Took note of the reports of the UNMISS, National Constitutional Amendment Committee (NCAC) and Ceasefire and Transition Security Arrangements Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM), and thanked the SGSR H.E Mustafa, and the Chairperson of NCAC Mr. Gichira Kibara for the good work and called for the immediate implementation of their recommendations;
• Called upon all parties and stakeholders to observe the permanent ceasefire in all parts of the country without exception and to guarantee unimpeded humanitarian access;
• Commended the outgoing Chairperson of CTSAMVM Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Abduljelill for his contribution to the peace process in his tenure and welcomed the new CTSAMVM Chairperson Maj. Gen. Desta Abiche;
• Appealed to the international partners and friends of South Sudan to support implementation of the Pre-Transitional activities of the Revitalized Peace Agreement;
• Called upon the IGAD Office of the Special Envoy to ensure the immediate establishment of the Joint Defense Board, International Boundaries Commission and Technical Boundaries Committee;
• That next reconstituted JMEC meeting should be convened on 12th December 2018 in Juba.